FSC works to take care of our forests and those who rely on them: by protecting plant and animal species, Indigenous Peoples’ rights, forest workers’ safety, and much more. We achieve this through FSC certification, ensuring forests around the world are responsibly managed. For more information on FSC, visit our website at www.fsc.org.
FSC Africa realized a significant increase in certified forest area between 2019 and 2020 owing largely to successes in Namibia and the Republic of Congo in 2020.
FSC’s Global Strategy (2021-2026) sets a high ambition for Africa to increase the area under FM certification, especially in the tropical region and owned by smallholders. In addition, FSC seeks to better demonstrate the impact of certification to local economies including small holders in the forest sector.
FSC is looking for an engaged Projects Officer (m/f/d), who brings solid expertise and a passion for FSC’s mission, to work with us in a multinational environment.
To support the operational management and direction setting of the Africa region by providing Project Monitoring & Evaluation support. To provide general support to the Regional Director and the Africa team in responding to basic inquiries, filing of documents, preparing templates to streamline proposals and reports, and any other office infrastructure related tasks are part of it. Procurement support, contract management, expense management, budget support forms a key part of this role.
Main Roles and Responsibilities
- To implement a monitoring system to measure progress of strategic investment projects, collecting data on the status and trends in certification in the Africa Region, keeping country information up to date, preparing summaries for evaluation of projects, and presentations to inform the wider FSC team of progress updates and results.
- To keep records on the financial and technical reports on all internally and externally funded projects in Africa, ensuring consistency so that all expenditures are reflected in the relevant project accounts
- In conjunction with the Finance Office at FSC International, to generate financial reports and advise the Regional Director on expenditure patterns on both overhead and project related expenditure
- To keep track (through an approved monitoring format) and to prepare summary technical reports on all internally and externally funded projects on biannual basis; two reports per project per annum – mid and end year reports.
- Using database query tools such as Power BI and other available and relevant tools, to prepare data and information (Infographics) provided by FSC in the form of maps, tables, charts to describe and depict the status of certification in Africa
- As required by the Regional Director, the Sub-Regions and FSC International, make presentations on the status and performance of FSC Africa’s certification programme.
- To work with the Communications Manager to generate the necessary data and information to prepare programme / project related posters for general and specific publicity objectives
Qualifications, Experience and Skills
- Education and Training:
- A university degree in accounting and experience in project management
- Working Experience, Style and Skills:
- Proactive, independent collaborator that can function well in a geographically dispersed team based in South, Central and East Africa. Fluent and regular collaboration with the key support functions and the Network team in FSC HQ in Bonn Germany.
- Demonstrated ability to work with numbers, basic accounting skills
- Demonstrated ability to summarize information in clear and concise ppt presentations
- An understanding of simple GIS application tools and ability to generate maps from shape files
- Ability to write project summaries, in the form of, graphics, financial reports and output and outcome oriented technical reports
- An appreciation of environmental and natural resources management
- Computer Skills:
- Proficiency in Excel, Power Point (Power Bi would be an added advantage)
- Strong command of MS Office 365
- Language and Communication Skills:
- Bi-lingual (French and English) and able to competently speak and write in both languages
Terms and Conditions
- Location: Nairobi, Kenya
- Working Hours: Full-time
- Starting Date: As soon as possible
- Duration of Employment: 2 years
How to Apply
Please apply via the FSC website by submitting your CV in English
Please do not send any photos of yourself.
The deadline for applications is 21st June 2021 at 10:00 am (CET).
For more information, please visit: Projects Officer (m/f/d) | Forest Stewardship Council (fsc.org)
*This information is shared by the African Forest Forum (AFF) on behalf of the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC).