The African Forest Forum (AFF) is a Pan-African non-governmental organization with its headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya. It is an association of individuals who share the quest for and commitment to the sustainable management, use and conservation of the forest and tree resources of Africa for the socio-economic wellbeing of its people and for the stability and improvement of its environment. The purpose of AFF is to provide a platform and create an enabling environment for independent and objective analysis, advocacy and advice on relevant policy and technical issues pertaining to achieving sustainable management, use and conservation of Africa’s forest and tree resources, as part of efforts to reduce poverty, promote gender equality, economic and social development and stability of the environment.
To be able to deliver on its mandate, AFF undertakes research activities to deepen understanding on several prioritised policy and technical issues on African forestry with the view to contribute to evidence-based decision making, capacity building, and skills development.
Monitoring and evaluation (M&E) is recognised as a useful instrument for effective and efficient project implementation and management. Monitoring and evaluation is used by organizations to ensure effective and regular data collection and analysis, information management and reporting in order to inform the status of projects and guide in strategic decision making on the same.
Over the last decade, AFF has been building an M&E system capable of assessing impacts of its activities among forestry stakeholders at all levels. During this period, a few areas of capacity gaps have been noted on accuracy of field data, timing for routine monitoring of projects, documentation of case studies and tracking of indicators. As part of improving the M&E system, AFF is undertaking a training needs assessment to further identify skills and capacity gaps on monitoring and evaluation, and more specifically among its members. Information from the assessment will inform the development of training modules and programmes targeting AFF members, secretariat staff and partners.
In this regard, AFF is therefore planning to train members and the secretariat staff on aspects of monitoring and evaluation in order for them to effectively implement M&E activities. AFF is inviting applications from qualified candidates to organise and implement the training.
To strengthen capacity of AFF members and staff through a one-day virtual training on key aspects of M&E in project implementation
The expert will be required to:
- Design training module/guide related to the identified capacity and skills gaps among AFF staff and members.
- Implement a virtual training workshop on monitoring and evaluation for the AFF staff and members that, among others, address M&E issues and challenges related to project implementation among trainees.
- Provide technical support and tool kit for interactive self-capacity building.
- Produce a comprehensive report at the end of the training.
- Training materials and presentations for reference in soft copies
- A training report including recommendations
Qualifications of expert(s)
- Minimum of master’s level education in monitoring & evaluation, project management, development studies or any relevant discipline
- Experience in developing and coordinating training programs for international and national NGOs particularly in project assessment, planning, monitoring and evaluation
- Demonstrated experience in project development, theory of change, implementation and developing strategies,
- Proven technical skills in monitoring and evaluation, including experience in collecting and analysing qualitative and quantitative data;
- Excellent communication, facilitation and presentation skill in English. Knowledge of French will be an added advantage
Duration and terms of engagement
This assignment is expected to take a maximum of 5 days including two (2-3) days for preparing training materials, one day training and one (1) day for reporting and should be delivered by the end of September 2021.
HOW TO APPLY
Qualified and interested candidates are requested to submit their application via email stating how they meet the above qualifications and requirements.
Attach an updated CV, a cover letter and indicate in the subject line: CONSULTANCY FOR MONITORING & EVALUATION TRAINING addressed to: firstname.lastname@example.org and copied to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org not later than 30th August 2021. Only successful applicants will be contacted.
To download the Terms of Reference, click here.