Indigenous afromontane forest in the Western Cape. South Africa. Photo credit: Abu Shawka via Wikimedia Commons
The African Forest Forum (AFF) is a pan-African non-governmental organization with its headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya. The purpose of AFF is to provide a platform and create an enabling environment for independent and objective analysis, advocacy and advice on relevant policy and technical issues pertaining to achieving sustainable management, use and conservation of Africa’s forest and tree resources as part of efforts to reduce poverty, promote gender equality, and economic and social development.
The Knowledge Management and Communications Unit provides leadership towards an integrated approach to the generation, management, sharing, communication and transfer of knowledge of forest related information among the many stakeholders involved in African forestry. The AFF Knowledge Management Strategy, is guided by a vision and a plan for sharing knowledge products generated by AFF. It provides a conceptual framework to strengthen AFF’s role in facilitating knowledge exchange and promoting the uptake of new approaches and practices.
Under the supervision of the Executive Secretary, the consultant will focus on providing support to the further development of AFF as a knowledge brokerage institution, and in particular guide the development of capacities in terms of human resources, infrastructure, and systems for knowledge management at AFF.
The consultant will be recruited to undertake the following tasks:
- Conduct a thorough assessment/audit, through desk research and organisational review, to determine the scope of knowledge management (KM) within AFF, and assess the requirements in terms of personnel skills, facilities or infrastructure, organizational processes/protocols and structure, in accordance with existing policies and ongoing project workplans.
- Consult with regional partners and other key entities to identify information needs and knowledge management implications
- Advice on systems, processes, technology tools, change management, monitoring, evaluation and learning (MEL) for building and creating new knowledge and training strategies by presenting comparative analyses of different options
- Draw up the required KM process flow in AFF and, in collaboration with the staff at AFF Secretariat, update the KM strategy to suit the requirements of AFF.
- Build the institutional and personnel capacity of AFF, to enhance their capacities on KM and in developing KM-related systems and databases;
- Draw a programme and develop requisite materials for training of stakeholders in African forestry on information and knowledge management at a workshop to be organized by AFF.
Report on organisational assessment/audit of AFF’s existing KM systems, practices, tools, gaps, etc., and the requirements, scope and scale for a tailor-made KMS based on organisational requirements
- KM plan consisting of KM framework and strategies including for testing/piloting and initial training/coaching of staff.
- Integrated KMS and KM database responding to 3 key elements of people, processes and technology
- An updated training manual
- A training programme and requisite material for training on information and knowledge management.
- Consultancy report with recommendations for longer term KM development at AFF
Qualification and Expertise
Master’s degree or higher in KM/Communications/Media/Library and Information Studies, MBA or equivalent post graduate degree relevant to KM and Organisational Development
- About 10 years of progressively responsible, professional-level experience in organizational or action learning, development, knowledge management and/or monitoring, evaluation and learning
- Demonstrated understanding and experience in developing and leading knowledge management programmes, facilitating communities of practice and social networking
- Proven track record of developing and implementing Knowledge Management Systems
- High level of research competence and abreast of current research and best practice in the Knowledge Management domain
- Excellent oral and written communication, analytical and presentation skills
How to apply
Attach all the supporting documents, including CV, letter of application, and submit by e-mail with subject line: EXPRESSION OF INTEREST FOR AFF KNOWLEDGE MANAGEMENT CONSULTANT addressed to: firstname.lastname@example.org and copied to email@example.com.
Applications must be received by the Secretariat before or by 15 February 2019;