Vacancy Announcement: Resource Mobilization/ Development Officer (Ref: 202359)
The African Forest Forum (AFF) is an association of individuals who share the pursuit and commitment to the sustainable management, wise use, and conservation of the forest and tree resources of Africa for the betterment of the socio-economic wellbeing of its people and for the stability and improvement of its environment. The purpose of AFF is to provide a platform and create an enabling environment for independent and objective analysis, advocacy, and advice on all relevant policy and technical issues pertaining to achieving sustainable management, wise use, and conservation of Africa’s Forest and tree resources as part of efforts to reduce poverty, protect the environment, and promote economic and social development.
We invite you to learn more about AFF and World Agroforestry by accessing our websites www.afforum.org and http://worldagroforestry.org/
The African Forest Forum is recruiting for the position of a Resource Mobilization/Development Officer to be based at its headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya, reporting to the Executive Secretary.
The Resource Mobilization/Development Officer (RMO) should work on the following:
1. Develop a comprehensive understanding of AFF’s programmatic priorities to strengthen and grow
AFF’s fundraising activities from various sources, including bilateral and multilateral donors,
financing institutions, philanthropists, private sector, trusts, foundations, and individuals.
2. Proactively identify funding opportunities (including requests for proposals and request for
applications), as soon as or ideally before they become wide public knowledge, and constantly scan
the horizon for such opportunities.
3. Produce, together with various organs of AFF, resource mobilisation plans and reports that have,
among others, clear and achievable income targets for the institution.
4. Facilitate the regular revision and implementation of AFF’s Resource Mobilization Strategy to
customise it to new/emerging, diverse, and additional resources for AFF’s projects and its
5. Keep comprehensive records of all fundraising related activities, including a credible pipeline of
new funding sources and monitoring of their progress against targets, establishing, and maintaining
networks of donors, and a database on donor profiles (including their policies, preferences,
6. Maintain and nurture long-term relationships with existing funders, through excellent and
innovative/creative stewardship (e.g., regular reports, updates, and donor meetings) to generate
increased support and engagement with AFF’s work, including multi-year grants.
7. With staff at AFF Secretariat, develop high quality and compelling funding/bankable project
concept notes and proposals, submit the same and follow up on them with funding sources.
8. Work closely with the Finance and Administration Unit at AFF to develop appropriate, timely, and
precise budgets; and in providing regular updates on finances of the institution.
9. Develop and strengthen partnerships for developing joint initiatives/project proposals with credible
organizations that collaborate or have potential to collaborate with AFF.
10. Organize resource mobilization events; for example, donor round tables, and capacity building for
Qualification and experience
• At least master’s degree in business administration, social science, marketing, natural resources, or a
• Minimum 10 years of demonstrated experience in developing fund-raising strategies and fundable
project proposals, implementing institutional resource mobilisation activities, and management of
• A proven track record of fundraising for natural resources/forestry/environment activities, from
various sources including bilateral and multilateral donors, financing institutions, philanthropists,
private sector, trusts, foundations, and individuals.
• Good knowledge and experience in NGO sector.
• Knowledge of GCF, GEF and other global finance mechanisms relevant to AFF’s work.
• Excellent written and oral communications skills, ability to write clearly and persuasively in English.
Fluency in French will be an added advantage.
Key competencies and skills
• Planning, organizing and execution skills.
• Has knowledge of facilitation and presentation skills.
• Strong communication skills, both verbal and written.
• Ability to interact confidently with Senior Leadership.
• Proficiency in Microsoft excel and power point.
Terms and conditions
• AFF and ICRAF are equal opportunity employers and offer a collegial and gender-sensitive working
environment, and we strongly encourage applications from qualified women. This position is
remunerated on Global Terms.
• The appointment will be for an initial period of two (2) years, subject to a six (6) months’ probation
• The duty station will be in Nairobi, Kenya CIFOR-ICRAF Offices.
• Go to http://worldagroforestry.org/working-for-icraf/vacancies
• The application deadline is 26 October 2023.
• CV and Cover Letter should be in PDF and Labelled with the applicants First and Second Names.
• Contacts of three (3) referees
• We will acknowledge all applications but will only contact short-listed candidates.
To download this Call, click here.
Join AFF and make a difference!
CIFOR-ICRAF is an equal opportunity employer. Staff diversity contributes to excellence