The Center for International Forestry Research (CIFOR) and World Agroforestry (ICRAF) envision a more equitable world where trees in all landscapes, from drylands to the humid tropics, enhance the environment and well-being for all. CIFOR and ICRAF are non-profit science institutions that build and apply evidence to today’s most pressing challenges, including energy insecurity and the climate and biodiversity crises. Over a combined total of 65 years, we have built vast knowledge on forests and trees outside of forests in agricultural landscapes (agroforestry). Using a multidisciplinary approach, we seek to improve lives and to protect and restore ecosystems. Our work focuses on innovative research, partnering for impact, and engaging with stakeholders on policies and practices to benefit people and the planet. Founded in 1993 and 1978, CIFOR and ICRAF are members of CGIAR, a global research partnership for a food secure future dedicated to reducing poverty, enhancing food and nutrition security, and improving natural resources.
CIFOR-ICRAF is looking for a Executive Secretary
The African Forest Forum (AFF) is a pan-African non-governmental organization with its headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya. It is an association of individuals who share the quest for and commitment to the sustainable management, use and conservation of the forest and tree resources of Africa for the socio- economic wellbeing of its people and for the stability and improvement of its environment.
The purpose of AFF is to provide a platform and create an enabling environment for independent and objective analysis, advocacy and advice on relevant policy and technical issues pertaining to achieving sustainable management, use and conservation of Africa’s Forest and tree resources as part of efforts to reduce poverty, promote gender equality, and economic and social development. Through all its programmes and activities, AFF seeks to promote the empowerment of all marginalized groups particularly women who have remained vulnerable to the impacts of climate change and whose representation, priorities and needs are seldom addressed in the forestry sector.
We invite you to learn more about AFF and World Agroforestry by accessing our web sites www.afforum.org and http://worldagroforestry.org/.
About the position
The African Forest Forum is recruiting for the position of an Executive Secretary to be based at its headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya, and reporting to the Governing Council of AFF. The Executive Secretary provides overall oversight as the Chief Executive Officer of the institution.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Under the guidance of the Governing Council of the African Forest Forum, the Executive Secretary shall:
- Serve as the Chief Executive Officer and spokesperson of the Forum.
- Provide efficient and effective leadership to the Secretariat.
- Manage and provide accountabilities for all the resources of the Forum.
- Draft, for the approval of the Governing Council, regulations, procedures, and guidelines for recruitment and remuneration of staff, fellows, and consultants for operations of the Forum, and oversee adherence to same.
- Appoint (or recommend to Executive Committee for appointment) staff, consultants, and fellows required for the operations of the Forum.
- Draft, for the approval of the Governing Council, the strategic plan for the Forum, business plans, annual plans of work and budget, financial and technical reports on the work of the Forum.
- Apply approved procedures and other ways of evaluating and monitoring performance and impact of the work of the Forum.
- Develop new project proposals and initiatives for funding by donors and other agencies.
- Implement decisions of the Executive Committee and the Governing Council.
- Be secretary to meetings of the Members’ Forum, the Governing Council, and the Executive Committee.
- Undertake any other duties as directed by the Governing Council.
- Be a member of the African Forest Forum.
- Have good experience in resource mobilization.
- Have an advanced degree, preferably at Ph. D level, in any field in forestry.
- Have very good understanding and experience (over ten years) in African forestry.
- Have demonstrable administrative and management skills in institutions and/or networks, preferably at sub-regional and regional African levels.
- Have experience and/or exposure in managing international and regional organizations or networks.
- Be fluent in English or French and have excellent writing skills in one of them. Working knowledge of Portuguese or Arabic will be an advantage.
Terms of offer
AFF is an equal opportunity employer and offers a collegial and gender-sensitive working environment. The appointment will be for an initial period of five (5) years, subject to a nine (9) months’ probation period, subject to availability of funds and good work performance.
How to apply
- A cover letter illustrating your suitability for the position, and your salary expectations.
- Detailed and up-to-date curriculum vitae.
- Names and addresses of three referees, including telephone numbers, and email addresses, and fax details, if available.
Address these to:
The Chair, Governing Council of African Forest Forum, c/o African Forest Forum, United Nations Avenue, Gigiri, P.O. Box 30677, 00100, Nairobi, Kenya, and send via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Indicate “Application for an Executive Secretary-AFF” on the application letter.
Applications will be considered until May 20, 2023. Please note that only short-listed applicants meeting the above requirements will be contacted.
The application deadline is 20 May, 2023
We will acknowledge all applications, but will contact only short-listed candidates.