The African Forest Forum (AFF) is an association of individuals who share the pursuit and commitment to the sustainable management, use and conservation of the forest and tree resources of Africa for the betterment of the socio-economic wellbeing of its people and for the stability and improvement of its environment. The purpose of AFF is to provide a platform and create an enabling environment for independent and objective analysis, advocacy and advice on all relevant policy and technical issues pertaining to achieving sustainable management, use and conservation of Africa’s forest and tree resources as part of efforts to reduce poverty, protect the environment and promote economic and social development.
The African Forest Forum is recruiting a Senior Programme Officer (SPO) to be based at its headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya, reporting to the Executive Secretary. The SPO position is a leadership one in terms of programme or project development and implementation.
Duties and responsibilities
The SPO should be capable of developing and managing project activities in some of the following broad areas:
- Sustainable management of forests and trees outside forests, giving attention to measures to contain loss of forest cover, expand the same and better ways to manage forest and tree resources on the continent; including policies and governance requirements for the same;
- Enhancing understanding of the contribution of forests and trees to a better environment in Africa, specifically with regard to adaptation to and mitigation of climate change, as well as development of sustainable management and utilisation practices that could improve resilience of trees and forests and the people who depend on them to adverse effects of climate change;
- Better management and conservation of forests and trees outside forests to enhance their provision of ecosystem services, including biodiversity, nutrient cycling and water supply;
- Generating evidence based information to support the development of sustainable supplies of sufficient good quality forest products, take advantage of livelihood opportunities based on forests and trees outside forests (including improving food and nutrition security), as well as enhancing the contribution of these resources to poverty eradication on the continent, national incomes and attainment of the SDGs;
- Strengthening the capacity of relevant institutions and individuals to undertake activities in the areas outlined above;
- Strengthening Africa’s capacity to effectively participate in multilateral environmental processes related to forestry and facilitate mainstreaming of decisions from the same.
- Collation, synthesis and dissemination of critical information and knowledge to stakeholders through publications in peer reviewed journals, policy briefs, factsheets, working papers and other avenues.
In addition to the above, the SPO should:
- Develop annual plans of work and budgets, as well as relevant reports, for discussion and approval by the AFF Project Steering and Advisory Committee (PSAC);
- Secure the attainment of project objectives, outcomes and other deliverables;
- Ensure quality assurance with respect to project outputs;
- Identify and secure the implementation of project changes and interventions necessary to achieve project outputs;
- Facilitating the undertaking of project evaluations and assessment of project results;
- Undertake any other responsibilities as may be directed by the Executive Secretary.
Key competencies and skills:
- Good communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills;
- Good leadership qualities especially with respect to planning, organisation, critical thinking and decision making;
- Ability to manage multiple activities simultaneously
- Efficient team management skills;
- Ability to resolve conflicting situations;
- Computer or technical knowledge;
- Effective problem-solving skills;
- Good fundraising skills;
- Adaptability and stress tolerance.
Qualification and experience:
- D. in a forestry area, environment, natural resources management or related area;
- A minimum of 5 years of post Ph. D. experience;
- Must have the capacity and demonstrated experience in the leadership of projects and programmes in forestry;
- Must have the capacity and demonstrated experience in application of forest science to the management of natural resources;
- Must be a good team player with experience working in a multicultural environment;
- Good written and oral communication skills in English and French.
Terms of offer:
AFF and ICRAF are equal opportunity employers and offer a collegial and gender-sensitive working environment. We strongly encourage applications from qualified candidates in Francophone West Africa, especially those very familiar with the Sahel region. This position is remunerated on regional terms. The appointment will be for an initial period of two (2) years, subject to a nine (9) months’ probation period.
How to apply
Applications will be considered until 20th September, 2020, please note that only short-listed applicants meeting the above requirements will be contacted.