The African Forest Forum (AFF) is an association of individuals who share the pursuit and commitment to the sustainable management, use and conservation of the forest and tree resources of Africa for the betterment of the socio-economic wellbeing of its people and for the stability and improvement of its environment. The purpose of AFF is to provide a platform and create an enabling environment for independent and objective analysis, advocacy and advice on all relevant policy and technical issues pertaining to achieving sustainable management, use and conservation of Africa’s forest and tree resources as part of efforts to reduce poverty, protect the environment and promote economic and social development.
AFF is hosted by World Agroforestry (ICRAF), a member of the CGIAR that is headquartered on United Nations Avenue, Nairobi, Kenya.
We invite you to learn more about AFF and World Agroforestry by accessing our web sites www.afforum.org and www.worldagroforestry.org.
The African Forest Forum is recruiting for the position of a Programme Officer to be based at its headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya, reporting to the Executive Secretary through an appointed project manager.
Duties and responsibilities:
To assist the project managers in the coordination and implementation of project activities on:
• Generating evidence-based information to support activities on promoting and strengthening sustainable forest management, strengthening the contribution of forests and tree resources to livelihoods , poverty alleviation, national incomes, renewable energy and environmental stability;
• Strengthening ways and means for addressing challenges to the development of forests and trees outside forests like climate change, pests and diseases, germplasm management, among others;
• Strengthening the capacity and skills of institutions and individuals on various aspects related to the development of the African forestry sector;
• Strengthening Africa’s capacity in regional, international and multilateral engagements; as well as mainstreaming of decisions from the same into national processes;
• Collation, synthesis and dissemination of critical information and knowledge to stakeholders through publications in peer reviewed journals, policy briefs, factsheets, working papers and other avenues;
• Based on emerging issues and trends in the forestry sector, identify innovative areas of interest for AFF members to engage on and contribute to mobilisation of resources for implementation of AFF’s activities.
In addition, the Programme Officer should:
• Assist the project managers on any other duties and responsibilities; and Represent AFF, on behalf of the Executive Secretary, on matters relating to the above duties, and on any other matters as directed by the Executive Secretary and the Governing Council of AFF.
Qualification and experience:
• Ph.D. in forestry, environment, natural resources management or related area;
• A minimum of 5 years of post-master’s degree experience;
• Must have the capacity and demonstrated experience in the application of forest science to the management of natural resources;
• Must be a good team player;
• Excellent written and oral communication skills in English; working knowledge of French will be an added advantage.
This position is specific to applicants from Southern African Region.
Terms of offer:
AFF and ICRAF are equal opportunity employers and offer a collegial and gender-sensitive working environment, and we strongly encourage applications from qualified women. The appointment will be for an initial period of two (2) years, subject to a nine (9) months’ probation period.
How to apply
Go to http://worldagroforestry.org/working-for-icraf/vacancies
Applications will be considered until 10 March 2020. CV and Cover Letter should be in PDF and Labelled with the applicants First and Second Names. Please note that only short-listed applicants meeting the job requirements will be contacted.