The African Forest Forum, with funding from the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC) and Swedish International Development Agency (Sida) is implementing two projects namely “African Forests, People and Climate Change”and “Strengthening Sustainable Forest Management in Africa” respectively. Both projects seek to generate and share knowledge and information through partnerships in ways that will provide inputs into policy options and capacity building efforts in order to improve forest management in a manner that better addresses poverty eradication and environmental protection in Africa.
Through these projects, AFF has produced several knowledge products on sustainable forest management (SFM) themes including green economy, private sector development, utilization of forest products, tree germplasm management, forest pests and diseases, transboundary forestry resources, forest certification, forest governance, forestry education and international engagement. In addition, compendiums for professional and technical training, as well as for short courses in sub-Saharan African countries have also been developed.
It is in this regard that AFF plans to contract a Graphic Designer on an on-call basis, to help meet its growing need for quality design services. The successful candidate will provide technical support to the Knowledge Management and Communication Unit in designing AFF publications and contribute to the development and improvement of the design, branding and layout of materials produced by AFF. Further, ensure that the knowledge products are following AFF’s Brand Guidelines, while providing the best possible functionality and usability to AFF target audience.
The aim of this consultancy is to ensure the implementation and adherence to existing graphic guidelines: design and layout of technical reports; policy briefs; fact sheets; journal papers; training modules; training guidelines; protocol; and compendia in English and French; and development of new graphic solutions for planned AFF’s 10 year Anniversary celebrations.
The consultant will be recruited to undertake the following tasks:
- Design and lay-out of AFF reports and other knowledge products for printing and electronic distribution;
- Improve and edit art-work, photos, charts and other graphic elements;
- Deliver creative and innovative ideas for the planned AFF’s 10-year anniversary (anniversary logo, collateral, banners, posters, booklets, leaflets, web-based bulletins, giveaways, press kits, presentations)
Detailed specifications for each individual assignment will be given to the selected designer as and when the designer’s services are requested.
Qualification and Expertise
Clear and mature style of design, demonstrating an understanding of the communication requirements of AFF;
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in graphic production from start to published/printed product with knowledge of printing processes (offset and digital) and color management;
- Good understanding of new and evolving technologies and digital platforms;
- Knowledge of standard software packages, including In Design and Photoshop and Adobe Acrobat;
How to apply
Attach all the supporting documents, including CV, letter of application, and samples of design work and submit by e-mail with subject line: EXPRESSION OF INTEREST FOR GRAPHIC DESIGN CONSULTANCY SERVICES addressed to: email@example.com with a copy to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications must be received by the Secretariat before or by 15 February 2019;