The Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) is recruiting for the position of Congo Basin Coordinator to be based at its offices in Libreville, Gabon. The type and duration of employment is a Service Agreement – 1 year with possible extension. The Starting date is June 2020 or as soon as possible.
Coordinates FSC’s day-to-day work in the Congo Basin. Acts as an ambassador for FSC and assumes a leading role in engaging all relevant stakeholders for FSC. Leads FSC’s engagement with all Francophone stakeholders in Africa, particularly in Cameroon, the Republic of Congo and Gabon; with a particular focus on Gabon where FSC has new opportunities to expand the area of certified forests. This role reports to the Africa Regional Director and will supervise a small team of staff in Gabon, a national consultant in Cameroon and the staff based at FSC sub-regional office in Brazzaville. In Gabon, fluent exchange and support is provided to this role through the internal Gabon Steering Committee that is comprised of colleagues in marketing, standards and policy, and other FSC Network Partners that collaborate on opportunities in the entire Congo Basin.
Duties and responsibilities:
- To represent FSC in the Congo Basin and to grow and nurture trusted relationships with key FSC stakeholders including FSC members, Government, concessionaires, International Donor Agencies, forest product processors, environmental and social NGOs, and Indigenous People’s representatives.
- In conjunction with the Regional Communications Manager, implement a sub-regional marketing and communication strategy and respond to queries from Governments, Environmental NGOs, and other FSC stakeholders.
- To act as the Congo Basin focal point to address any queries related to Chain of Custody (CoC) and Trademark License Agreements (TLAs) and to effectively engage existing and future FSC Certificate Holders.
- To coordinate and support the work of the Policy and Standards Unit Manager to plan and execute FSC’s technical work in the sub-region.
- To supervise the implementation of donors-funded projects or programs in Congo Basin including financial and technical reporting to donors.
- To fundraise with donors for Congo Basin projects, ensuring the continuation and the growth of FSC’s presence in the Congo Basin.
- To engage FSC members, in alignment with FSC global strategy implementation framework and supervise FSC national consultants in Cameroon and in Gabon.
- To work closely with any FSC committees formed to support work in the sub-region.
- To liaise with relevant FSC Network Partners on Congo Basin activities and explore possible synergies, which could contribute to grow FSC presence in the sub-region.
Qualification and experience:
- University degree in a relevant field, for example, forestry or natural resources management, or functionally relevant, such as international relations or international communications; in the case of relevant work experience substantially in excess of the minimum requirements stated below will allow for greater flexibility in degree subject.
- At least 10 years of professional experience working in Central Africa, with at least 5 years of professional experience in fundraising, working with governments and inter-governmental or regional organizations.
- Substantial project management experience as well as proven writing and leadership skills.
- Solution- and service-oriented attitude to work, as well as a strong sense for diligence and accuracy.
- Fluency in English and French (spoken and written).
- Exemplary verbal and written communication skills, as well as active listening skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive interpersonal relations.
- Experience in working in a multi-cultural, multi-lingual, global team in / with an NGO or Non-Profit Organization.
- Demonstrated cultural awareness and sensitivity to the diversity of values, views and approaches to issues relevant to the FSC program by stakeholders around the world.
- Ability to represent FSC through his/her work with exemplary personal and professional authority and conduct.
To apply for this position, click here . Deadline for application is April 15, 2020.
*This information is shared by the African Forest Forum (AFF) on behalf of the Forest Stewardship Council (FSC).